Freitag, 9. April 2010

Shortbread Cookies

My cookie jar is empty and needed a refill - since we love to have something to munch on with our evening nespresso - I thought this time lets fill it up with these shortbreads. I´ve been wanting to try this recepie from Joy of Baking out for a long time now. So last night I made the dough and left in the fridge over night.
The hardest part is really to decide what kind of cookie cutters to use ;-) I got these cookie stamps a while ago and wantet to try them out too :) I picked I ♥ U and HDL (German abbrevation for Hab Dich Lieb = I love you). 
Joy of Baking is one of my favorite pages and I was happy to find them too on Facebook.
If you want to decorate your shortbreads with royal icing - check out Bake at 350 I love how she decorates her cookies.

Here a peak before and after baking


after the baking they looked like this



I got about 30 cookies - and they taste really good :)
Ingredients










2 cups (260 grams) all-purposeflour
1/4 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
1 cup (2 sticks) (226 grams) unsaltedbutter, room temperature
1/2 cup (60 grams) powdered (confectioners or icing)sugar
1 teaspoon (4 grams) purevanillaextract






In a separate bowl whisk the flour with the salt.  Set aside.
In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until incorporated. Flatten the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill the dough for at least an hour.  
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) with the rack in the middle of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/4 inch (.5 cm) thick. Just take one part of the dough out of the refrigerator - since the dough quickly softens. Cut into  whatever shapes you wish using lightly floured cookie cutter. Place the cookies on the prepared baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes or freeze them for 5-10 minutes. That way they keep their shape better and rise just slightly higher. This will firm up the dough so the cookies will maintain their shape when baked. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly brown. Cool on rack.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen