Donnerstag, 8. Juli 2010

Bento Bento

As I first saw a cute bentobox I wanted one too - there are tons of blogs out there and books about the art of bento. It doesn´t always need to be pure japanese food - though thats the classic bento.  I would call Bento   a lunch made with love to lighten up the day - when you open it and find alot of sweet little things inside it really lightens up your day. And we all know love goes through the tummy ;-)


Here a picture of my cute new bunny Bento box closed


and open :-) full of yummy things



Upper Box (250ml) Contains: 
Star Shaped Boiled Egg
Oatmeal Mocca Sweets (see recepie below)
home grown mini tomatos :-)


Lower Box (350ml) Contains: 
Bunny Apples
Salad and Tomato
Tuna sandwich with the German Flag (see recepie below)

Upper Box:

Oatmeal Mocca Sweet Treats

250g Oatmeal grains
250g Powderd sugar
3 Tablespoon Dutch Cocoa
150g butter - melted
1/2 dl espresso

I decided to make these childhoods home made sweets. We used to make them as I was a little girl and I guess maybe they tought me to like coffee ;-) Today I used a freshly made espresso for the coffee flavor (nespresso Roma). Let the mixture cool a little before you make small balls out of it, cool in the freezer/fridge.

For the cute star shaped boiled egg - I used a bento egg mold. It´s very easy to use. Check here for some instructions on how to do it and pictures of other egg molds.

Lower Box:

An apple a day keeps the doctor away - and these little bunny apples are just too cute - I followed the method to cut the rabbits correctly here.  

Tuna salad for sandwiches

can of tuna in own juice
4-5 cornichons (finely chopped)
1 boiled egg (finely chopped)
half a glass (125ml) mayonese with some sour creme or miracle wip
salt and pepper

This salad is perfect for sandwiches - The recepie´s origin might be japanese - at least its from one of my dear friends thats half japanese and my favorite ex roommate - meine große :-) .
You can use mayonese or miracle whip, or mix mayonese with creme fraise to give it a bit lighter texture. Whatever is more your style.
Drain the Tuna, finely chop the cornichons and the boiled egg (I just put it throug my egg cutter and then take it up and turn 90° and cut it again with my egg cutter) couldn´t be easier. Some salt and pepper if you like. 

The Bread is italian and I used a normal cookie cutter to get the shape I wanted - you could sprinkle it with a little sweet paprica powder on top as well for a pattern. I made it 3 tier and stuck a little german flag in the middle. It´s the day after the big day for Germany with the bad ending.

Bento Box

Kommentare:

  1. I love these Bento Boxes, I have to try and figure out how to do these for my girls!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Thank You Chef Dennis :-D And good luck - it´s so much fun to make too

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Your bento boxes are beautiful. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to read your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did. I love the food you write about and your recipes are terrific. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Thank you Mary for your kind words :) Always welcome on my blog :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I'm so glad you paid a visit to my blog. I hope you'll become a regular visitor. I hope the day is treating you well. Blessings...Mary

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I will Mary :) put your blog on my blog roll so I won´t miss a entry :D
    Have a blessed day

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Wow, that bento box is truly adorable, I think I need to find one for myself! And I love that you included the recipes for some of the foods you included, esp those oatmeal sweet treats, yum! :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. Thank you Cilantropist :D I love my lill bento box as well - the oatmeal sweet treats are very yummy indeed :D

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. Your bento box is wonderful. I love the egg mold! I'm keeping my eye open for that one. I saw your blog from the foodie blog roll. If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Thank you Alisa :) I´ll do that :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. wow, echt tolle Bentos machst du da! oh und coole idee cornichons in den Thunfischsalat zu geben. Dadrauf bin ich nie gekommen! Muss ich mir merken! :D

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. Danke Token :) eine halp-japanische Freundin hat mir das beigebracht :) Danke fürs reinschauen :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Ég elska Bento box en ég er ekki viss hvort þau fást á Íslandi eins og margt annað ;)
    Þetta er geggjað girnilegt og fallegt hjá þér !

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Takk Dagný já ég keypti þetta í gegnum netið, en var í Dusseldorf um helgina og þar eru svo margar japanskar búðir og fullt af bentoboxum og japönsku gúmmulaði :)

    AntwortenLöschen